Monday, March 16, 2009

Beijing day 1
















Tonight as I sit here in this beautiful hotel my mind is racing....thinking so many things that I'd like to share with you all...too many to really put into words....and often so hard to express too. So...I'll share a little about our day today and some of my thoughts.

Our day began with a short meeting with our Bethany worker and then we were off on a long day of touring and shopping. We started at the Cloisonne factory...and shops :) ...had lunch at a nearby Chinese restaurant (Natalee now understands what we've been telling her for so long about trying new foods even if they look different - she didn't do too bad - fortunately one of our dishes was sweet & sour pork so that was good)....then a long ride to the Badaling section of the Great Wall. Natalee's first words were "cool". She was pretty overwhelmed I think....just the size and grandure of it all but also the people! She loved the gondolla ride up the mountain....Mom however didn't fair so well. :( Even though I've done this before on our first adoption trip, it didn't go so well (I didn't have my gondolla buddies Tim & Margo to keep my mind off the ride and make me laugh). My dislike of heights combined with motion sickness and a very sensitive "system" all sent me to find the first restroom I could at the Great Wall. Let's just say that I've added another very unique location that I've needed to use the facilities!! It was not a highlight of my trip...but I did feel much better.
We walked for quite awhile on the wall...which is incredibly steep and I don't remember being so winded and weak-knee'd before...I guess that's what 6 more years does to the body. Natalee fell asleep on the ride back to the hotel but perked right up when we got back. Our guide gave us a map of our neighborhood so we decided to take a walk to find some supper and a few groceries. Her "few blocks" were quite long but we found a KFC and grocery store.

We've realized that over the past 6 years since we've been here the price of everything has drastically gone up (as it has everywhere) .... but we were looking for a nice piece of jewlery for Kyle's mom at the restaurant/store we ate at for lunch...anyway...we were looking at a jade/silver bracelet. The lady pulled it out and placed it on the counter for us to see...then she explained that it was some specific type of jade set white gold. I asked the price and she said some astronomical number in yuan so I did the conversion on the calculator to find that the cost was.......ready Mom?.......$6,256!! Yes, that 6 thousand and some change! So...sorry we didn't get you a jade bracelet but does the thought count? :)

It's been a good day...tiring and tomorrow we go to Tiannamen square, Forbidden City & Hutong tour then rest at the hotel and to an acrobat show in the late afternoon. Continue to pray for us...safety & good health...bonding with Megan....health for Megan....we'll keep you updated and please post comments, we'd love to hear from you too.
Thanks!






10 comments:

  1. Kristin, Kyle and Natalee,

    I'm so glad to hear you arrived safely to China! Your pictures are wonderful. It also sounds like you are seeing and trying many new things. What a great experience. I continue to pray for your family as you travel and for Megan and all or you as you welcome Megan into your family. Blessings, Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I am going to try again to post a comment! :) Maybe it will work THIS time!
    We were so excited to get the update yesterday, that the trip went well and you had arrived safely. While reading this, today, all I could think of was how wonderful an experience this is for Natalee! You could talk for years, about her country of birth....and none of it would mean as much as getting off that plane, and seeing all that is around her right now! Continuing to pray for health, safety, and wonderful bonding for all of you!
    Much love,
    Jim and Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for your family and for your sweet darling's heart as she prepares to meet her mama, baba and jie jie.
    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're so glad your flight went well & that you are safely in Beijing - also glad we can follow your progress this way. Sunday was a good day at church & we will continue to remember you in prayer each night during revival. We send our love, hugs & kisses to you all - especially Natalee. Thanks for the pictures! - Love & Prayers, G'ma Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!! This is so nice! I wish I'd known to do something like this when we were in Korea meeting Zachary for the first time. Blogging is awesome for communicating. Praying for you.
    You are probably sight seeing while we are tucking the kiddos into bed:) Hope you are having lots of fun.
    Tell Natalee that Madi says Hi.
    Angie
    (Nelson)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad everything is going well! I was going to call you last week before you left and time just got away! Praying for you all and can't wait to see you when you get back! Thanks for the updates - love this blog!
    Kathy Huyser

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kyle, Kristin, Natalee, and soon to be Megan! Thank you so much for sending us your blog, we are going to share the messages with Grandma Thompson and Grandpa Don tomorrow. Hopefully, we will have some more good news by then. All of you are in our prayers and I pray everything continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi
    We just missed you. We got to Beijing this afternoon and you left this morning. Hope everything goes well for you in the province. See you in Guangzhou/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey guys,
    It's good to hear from you. Boy it sure does bring back the memories. We can relate to how you feel. Take care and keep in touch
    Jimmy, Pam, Christa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you are in China! Yippee!! I am excited to follow your journey.

    Sarah (swalles from Bethany boards)

    ReplyDelete