Tuesday, January 11, 2011

2010 Catching Up

The last several months of 2010 were busy, tiring, fun but not without great challenges as well. After Megan’s birthday in June, the summer just went crazy which led to an even busier fall and then some tough events happened and low and behold it’s 2011. Whew! So, in an effort to catch up and try to share our family journey, I thought I’d post some pics and stories of the last several months of 2010. So, here we go…

p1140796

Fun Times during the summer: bowling, playing volleyball in the yard, zoo trips, the beach, and so much more! On one zoo trip Nat decided she wanted to do the high ropes course. It was definitely a lesson in letting go for Mom. I was so nervous watching her but she was confident and wanted to go again as soon as she came down. I’m glad she doesn’t have fear of heights like Ip1150652 do.

p1150593p1150719

p1150169

Chi*na Reunion with 4 of the 11 families we traveled with back in 2002. Getting together with our adoption family is always a highlight of our summer.

Kristin's 40th bday surprise at Mackinaw

Our 40th Birthdays! We weren’t going to do anything special for our birthdays except surprise the girls with a trip to Disney we had planned for the end of September. However, my sweet husband decided we needed to do something special for my birthday. I woke up to balloons and presents from the girls and Kyle had told me to pack for 4 days and what specifically to bring. Being the “control freak” I am sometimes, I needed to know exactly what the plan was and who was taking care of the girls but Kyle assured me he had everything under control and to relax. Hard to do sometimes but I tried. Well, long story short… he planned a wonderful trip up north to Mack*inaw and the U.P. for a few days. At first I was quite hesitant to go away just the two of us but, once gone, it was quite refreshing and fun! He had everything planned, he’s great at being romantic & fun. Well, on our second night gone, we ended up pulling back into the same hotel we had checked out of earlier that morning. I just laughed & asked why we checked out. He said he had to keep me guessing and if we didn’t check out I’d know we were coming back. Too cute!

So, we pull around to where our room was and I notice a truck that looks similar to my FIL, hmm, I wonder silently but quickly dismiss the thought because why would his truck be here? Meanwhile, Kyle is totally distracted by who knows what and doesn’t hear me chattering about a wedding party bonfire down on the beach…. he’s grabbed our luggage and is heading into our room. I head in, still chattering, put my stuff down, silently notice how disheveled our bed looks (that’s odd), turn around and coming out of the bathroom are my daughters yelling “SURPRISE”!!!

I SCREAM!

Kristin's 40th bday surprise at Mackinaw

Then, my MIL & FIL (it was their truck). I SCREAM and LAUGH!

Then, my Dad, my Mom and my Grandma! I SCREAM, LAUGH, and start to CRY! I’m SHOCKED! I playfully hit Kyle saying something like, “how’d you do this?” Wow! But, the surprise didn’t end there. While I was calming down & chattering a mile a minute about the trip so far, Kyle & the Dad’s went to get pizza. We went over to the lobby area and before walking in Kyle wanted to get a picture of me. This is because my mother didn’t have her camera ready to capture the shocked look on my face – I know – I was a little irritated too – doesn’t she know I’m a scrapbooker?!? Anyway, just as I walk into the lobby area, I see my BIL and SIL too. That did it! I’m now on the floor LAUGHING & CRYING trying NOT to wet my pants. WOW! My husband got me good! My sister & her family were not able to come otherwise all of my immediate family was there. I couldn’t believe it! It was so much fun! Thank you Kyle – you’re the best!!! (His 40th bday would be 6 days later & I’m now thinking, honey, you’re going to be disappointed because I didn’t plan anything like this!)

We enjoyed the rest of the weekend together and took the girls over to Mack*inaw Island. Megan had her first ferry ride & carriage ride too. It was the BEST birthday party ever!!!

p1160278

p1160297

p1160299

First day of school! Nat started 3rd grade and Megs started preschool at Cal*vary Schools. They’re very excited and looking forward to their new year.

Downtown Disney - hats & dressup

Downtown Disney - hats & dressup

Magic Kingdom castle

Dis*ney was MAGICAL! We had so much fun!! Not only was it the first time for the girls, but Kyle had never been to Mag*ic King*dom either. We took the trip with “Jake” G’ma & G’pa but they weren’t able to do a whole lot because of the high humidity, that was a big bummer! It was a lot of fun. The girls met all the Princesses and most of all the other characters, and their favorites, Mul*an and Mary Pop*pins! We’re looking forward to going back again.

p1170449

Natalee’s 8th Gotcha Day! Hard to believe it’s been that long already. It’s gone so fast. We have been so blessed to have you Natalee as our daughter! You are an amazing young lady and we love to watch you grow and mature. You are so patient and kind and have a sincere desire to honor God in all that you do. We love you Nat!

p1170477

Trunk or treating fun! We have a Magical Mic*key complete with light up hat and our sweet Alice in Won*derland. They had fun making their costumes from things found around the house (except the hat – which came from Dis*ney).

p1170580

Christmas was a busy time but it wasn’t without blessing. This Christmas Megan got more into the meaning of Christmas and understood it better than last year. She was thrilled that she was able to give some special gifts that she picked out with her own money from the kids’ workshop at a local church. She’s still big into San*ta, which we never had with Nat. It’s sweet to see her innocence and pure joy at the thought that San*ta snuck into her house to leave her something special. My girls were blessed beyond measure by all the wonderful gifts given to them. In all honesty, it was a little overwhelming. I have some thoughts on this and will save them for another post another day.

P1180052

P1180030

P1180021

Natalee’s birthday is 5 days before Christmas and this year we decided to have a little mini-getaway to a local hotel. The girls had a blast as they were treated to breakfast in bed and swimming for two days solid. It was a nice treat for everyone, time to just relax and be together before going back to school and starting a new year.

p1170582

God’s beauty in our backyard!

“Forget the former things: do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.” Isaiah 43:18-19 NIV

I also like how The Message says this passage. “Forget about what’s happened; don’t keep going over old history. Be alert, be present. I’m about to do something brand new. It’s bursting out! Don’t you see it? There it is! I’m making a road through the desert, rivers in the badlands.” Isaiah 43:18-19 The Message

God has been so good to us this year. Yes, we’ve had difficult times in our attachment/bonding process but overall, it’s good. We can be thankful for SO MANY things. We look forward to the new thing that God is going to do in each of our lives and in the life of our family. Stay tuned, thanks for catching up with us and Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Happy New Year!

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear what has been going on :) and I really like the verse you included at the end. thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isaiah 43:19 "ways in the desert..." God makes ways through the wilderness and through the deep waters. A song that was meaningful for me in 2010: "Desert Father" by Josh Garrels. Go to joshgarrels.com, move the "turning wheels" gadget on the front page at lower left and use the pull down menu to select "Desert father." Then give it a good listen.

    ReplyDelete